Delhi schools will soon have new Education Board: Sisodia

Delhi schools will soon have new Education Board: Sisodia

11 September 2019 | Source: Oswaal Books Editorial Board

Soon Delhi will have its own next generation education board that will aid students prepare for entrance examinations like JEE, NEET and the likes.

Though this will not be a replacement for the CBSE board, the Delhi government envisions the board to be the answer to the current situation where students prepare for board examinations with the help of schools but have to take the help of coaching centres to perform well at the entrance examinations.

"We thought about this in 2015 itself and even started working towards it. However, when we saw the condition of the buildings and got a sense of the scholastic environment in the classes, we realised that before introducing a new board, we had to first work on improving the infrastructure," Manish Sisodia said in an interview.

Sisodia, who is also Delhi’s Education minister, said the government had earlier put the work of the new board in the back-burner to focus on building infrastructure but now it is felt that the time has come to create a Delhi education board.

Elaborating on how the board will function, Sisodia said they plan to have separate grades for subjects for students, keeping in mind what they want to pursue.

"You have four grades for subjects. For instance, divide science into four grades -- science for doctors and engineers, science for sportsperson, science for humanities.

"If a child wants to become a journalist, he/she can take A grade language and maybe C grade of science so that if he has to cover science, he is well-versed with the basics," Sisodia explained.

Another problem that the new board will address to is help students prepare for entrance exams. He said currently, student studies 10 per cent of the curriculum for entrance exams in schools and the rest of the 90 per cent in coaching centres while preparing for entrances.

"The examination system and curriculum should be practical. For example, as of now, if a class 12 student wants to appear for the IIT entrance exam, he will go to coaching centres.

"Why not make it part of the board? The child is not able to rise above his own capacity. So what is the advantage? We do not know what we are preparing the students for," he said.